Monday, December 14, 2009

Ta Da!

At long last! My apologies for taking so long to get to this post. It took us a few days to get this baby set up. It may very well have been easier to chop down a tree in the woods and lug it home. But, it was worth every blessed bit of hassle. And here it is, the stuff of dreams, the cherry on my sundae....my very own vintage pink Christmas tree.



I purchased the tree two weeks ago when I saw it -- much like you're seeing it now -- beckoning from the First Class Clutter window. Between the crazy hours of Stefan's new job, and Jan (owner of First Class Clutter) begging me to let her keep it in the window for a few days, it took forever to bring Pinkie home. I'm surprised there isn't more camera shake in the shot above. As I snapped the photo, giddy with expectation, I felt like we were about to take home a brand new puppy. Pinkie is a good deal better trained, thank you very much.





I spent the morning arranging the lights, after having done some research online for instructions on the proper way to do so. I read Better Homes and Gardens "Tree Lighting 101" and promptly failed. Christmas College is hard! They claim, however, that: "Putting lights on a Christmas tree isn't hard. Following a few basic safety rules is easy, too." This is a nasty, nasty untruth and frankly I'm ashamed of BH & G for propagating such lies (and during the holiday season, no less.) I tried really, really hard to want to follow their directions. I truly did. But look at this:


1. Begin at the bottom of the tree close to the trunk. Allowing some slack or leader cord in the first strand of lights, separate the cord near the first bulb so it forms a loop. Slip the loop over one of the branchlets or greens near the trunk, and wrap the cord a few times around the green to secure it. 
2. Pull the string of lights taut to the tip of the branch, then work back toward the trunk, wrapping the cord over itself and the branch. 
3. Separate the cord again when you reach the trunk, and slip the cord over a branchlet to secure it. Carry the cord over to the next branch, wrap it around a green near the trunk, and pull it out to the tip. Wrap the cord over itself and the branch as before. 


I can barely finish reading that, never mind putting it into action. So, I did my own thing, and I don't think it's half bad. Plus, it didn't take the whole morning, and I didn't swear once. I watched my father struggle with the lights for twenty Christmases or so, and it was always a very vocal event.



Before I hang our ornaments, I want to make/find a fitting garland for Pinkie. I'm headed to Goodwill tomorrow with Karen and hopefully will find some inspiration. And perhaps some milk glass. A woman can never have enough milk glass.


Here's a final shot, pre-trimming. There's nothing like posting a photo of your living room to remind you that the ongoing de-cluttering attempts have perhaps not gone far enough. My mantle is hosting quite a few parties up there, of which (thankfully) you can only see 10% here.

I'll be back at you tomorrow night with my Goodwill finds. And, with any luck, Pinkie will be sporting some dandy trimmings.



xoxox
Fancy

3 comments:

  1. Not that I'm competing, but I'll bet I can outdo Mario in the expletive department when it comes to putting lights on a tree. And, I'm sure BH&G just writes about doing it right without doing it right. Whatever you did, it worked. LOVE IT! It's even more magnificent than it was in the window--and pinker(?)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bonnie! And yeah, it definitely does look pinker in the apartment! Just goes to show how little natural light I get in here...

    I'll be leaving it up for January, of course, so let's plan a day trip for you and the ladies...Lunch and tea at Loeb House, and dessert at the apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That tree is one of the mos tamazing things I have seen in my life. Seriously.

    Nick

    ReplyDelete